Sunday, July 31, 2011

Finding the Courage to Say No...

Okay, I'm not talking about drug or alcohol use here, but for anyone who has ever struggled with weight, you know that food can easily qualify as an addiction. If it's something that occupies much of your time, thoughts, and money, and it prevents you from reaching your goals, then you need to rely on your own resources to stay safe from it. A little willpower can go a long way, and granted, you're not going to succeed every day, but if you've been tuning in to my blog, then you know that balance is one of my favorite words :)

Tonight, I am at home with my grandma again while my parents and sister are at a concert. I am *attempting* to write out lesson plans for the children I tutor twice a week, and all I've been thinking about is pizza. More specifically, I'm thinking of a sausage and green olive Panzerotti (basically a supersized calzone), cheese sticks, and a Diet Rite from Mamma Maria's in Elmhurst (because only in America do we add diet pop to a meal like that). You see, a Panzerotti and cheese sticks are an example of what Weight Watchers members might refer to as their "old dinner"--the kind of meal they succombed to on a regular basis before committing to a new, healthier way of life.

There are several favorites from years past that I still enjoy as an occasional treat for staying on my diet, but ordering pizza is one thing that I can only do once a month at best--and usually even less frequently than that--because of the extreme fat, calorie, and salt contents. Sometimes I'll get it because I think I'm craving it so badly, but once I'm finished (and uncomfortably full), I find myself wondering if it was really even worth it in the first place. That's exactly what I asked myself tonight, when I wanted so desperately to pick up the phone and splurge big-time. I also thought of a quote that keeps me focused when I feel like getting lax: If I eat fattening foods, I'll be happy as long as I'm chewing, but if I stick to what I've been working for, I'll be happy as long as I'm living.

As the hours passed, and I continued working on my lesson plans, I finally decided to save some fat grams (not to mention money) by boiling a pot of noodles and having tuna instead. I also have a Weight Watcher-friendly ice cream bar in the freezer for later (purchased as a single, which is great when you're working on portion control and cautious about buying a whole box). Of course, the noodles and mayonnaise (although light) on the tuna do have a few extra calories than I might like, but it is still a much better choice than the Panzerotti and cheese sticks. It tastes good, fills me up, and reminds me that we are all capable of making healthier food decisions when we stop to consider the consequences of going the other way.

I may have been slightly grumpy about not getting my Mamma Maria's food at first, but I know that I'll be proud when I step on the scale tomorrow. The decision I've made tonight will pay off then, and that makes it all worth it. Someday soon, maybe I will indulge in that delightful "old dinner" of mine...just not now, because tonight, I have somehow found the courage to say no, and that's what life is all about: saying no when possible, with the knowledge that because you stayed strong, you will be able to say yes some other time.

Now, before I say good night, I will add a few pictures from a wedding that I attended this weekend. The beautiful newlyweds, Tony and Kristen, have been together for 11 and a half years, and as a couple, they are the real deal. It is always fun to go and celebrate the excitement of a brand-new marriage, especially when you have memories of playing Barbies and acting out American Girl plays with the bride! (Kristen is my sister Katie's age, I am the same age as Kristen's younger sister, and we spent many, many days playing together as kids.) Weddings also happen to be a fantastic opportunity to burn calories on that ever-popular dance floor!!!!

Good night to everyone, and have a great day tomorrow--or at least as great as a Monday can be :) Question of the Day: Can you find the willpower to "say no" sometime this week when you know that it will benefit you in the long run? If so, I hope you will post here and share it with us! Your success is someone else's inspiration!


Tony and Kristen sharing their first dance


Hanging out with my mom at the reception. Weight Watchers buddies forever! :)


Here's my sister Katie--one of the bridesmaids--tearin' it up on the dance floor...


...and my sister Kerry and I smiling big with our dad!


No comments:

Post a Comment